"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Double Marathon Challenge, Continued

Okay, now for the second part of my challenge. First, some background info: I love to write. There, I said it. I've kept this hobby a secret for so long, stuffed in the very back of the closet of my soul behind two old purses, about seven pairs of shoes, and at least that many dustballs. And for good reason. Anything one writes can be criticized, ripped to shreds, and fed to the dogs. The results--I know firsthand--are like a beating to the soul.

So why take the risk? Because I can't not write. Ever since my first story in the third grade, I'd Cross the Desert for Milk (how's that for unique?), I've played around with story ideas and a handful of completed and uncompleted projects.

I decided to get serious four years ago. I joined an amazing organization, the American Christian Fiction Writers. From multi-published, award-winning authors to folks who don't know POV from PMS, ACFW caters to them all. I've been learning ever since.

This past April, I won a full scholarship to the ACFW Conference in Indianapolis this year. A dream come true! I will have the opportunity to attend and report on various workshops that will help me improve my manuscript. I will be able to meet some of my favorite authors. And, I will pitch my novel to an agent. Eeek!

So now, for the second part of my double marathon challenge: finish my WIP that was birthed seven years ago in time for conference. This means I need to complete it by the beginning of August in order to have time for my critique group to read and give their expert advice. I must have a completely polished manuscript by September 17th, or I will not be able to pitch it in this personal, preferred manner.

Another daunting marathon requiring every ounce of perseverance I possess. Another area where failure may meet me at every turn. Another race I'm willing to give my all and give to God.












































4 comments:

  1. You're right about comparing writing to a marathon. I'm also working on completing my novel before the conference. It will be a LONG summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the hard work, Bonnie! I hope I'll get a chance to meet you at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    I'm curious, what part of New England are you from? I'm in upstate NY and also a member of
    ACFW. Congrats on the scholarship - how exciting! Do work on that novel this summer, there is nothing like a face to face meeting with an editor. I just attended Blue Ridge Mts. Christian Writers Conference and had my first meeting. It is an excellent opportunity and well worth the hard work - so, go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia! I've heard great things about the Blue Ridge Conference! I'm from Southeast Massachusetts. I love upstate NY...so beautiful! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete