"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Relating to George McFly

Those of you who have watched the movie, Back to the Future, probably remember this scene in George McFly's high school lunchroom. Marty, George's son from the future, asks his father what he's writing.

“Science fiction stories… about aliens coming down from other planets,” George says.

“Get out of town… I didn’t know you did anything creative,” Marty says, grinning. “Here, let me read some of it.” He reaches for the notebook, but George pulls it away.

“Oh, no, I couldn’t let anyone read it. They might not like it and tell me I’m no good. I just don’t think I could take that kind of rejection. But, you wouldn’t probably understand that, would you?”

I do, George! I do!

I think of you often lately, George McFly, as I prepare for the ACFW conference. Everything is coming together. My one-sheet is done, my pitch is ready for the agents I'll be meeting. My first chapters are completely polished. Still...rejection is part of a writer's journey, and it's sure to come. When it does, will I be able to handle it?

Standing at this threshold, I can't imagine coming this far just to chicken out. So I'm going to take the leap. And you know what? I'm excited to learn what journey God has in store for me. I'm excited to see what He's going to teach me through this conference. Maybe He'll surprise me. Maybe He'll teach me things that don't even have to do directly with writing. Maybe He'll teach me about encouraging and serving others. Maybe, with my friends and family 800 miles away, I'll gain a deeper trust in the ability of my Creator to take care of me. Who knows? I suppose I'll find out in seventeen days....

As for George McFly, I can't say my future has a hardcover in it as his eventually did, but for right now, it's nice to know someone else understands, even if he is only a fictional character himself.

2 comments:

  1. I understand, Heidi. I've had my share of rejection wallpaper. But, like George McFly at the beginning of the movie, when we're not willing to take that chance we're already providing our own rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good point, Sandy! I never thought of it like that. :)

    ReplyDelete