"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, September 6, 2010

What My Children Have Taught ME





As my oldest son prepares to climb on the big yellow school bus for the very first time this morning, I can't help but reflect on all he's learned in the last five years. But he's not the only one learning. My two sons have educated me, too.

My children have taught me that:

1) I am stronger than I think I am--surviving labor twice is proof of that.

2) while time-outs might not always bring about a desired result, bribery usually does. (Not advocating, by the way.)

3) it's better to forgive and forget. Have you ever witnessed a major disagreement between two pre-schoolers? It can be a nasty thing. But I'm always amazed how quickly an apology and a new plan can reconcile the two involved parties. Adults--I think we just make it too difficult sometimes.

4) two small boys needn't look farther than the bathroom for amusement. Who can make the most bubbles in Mommy's freshly scrubbed toilet? Who can pee the farthest? (Outside activity, of course.) Toilet identification, anyone? While I'm fairly certain I've never given the letters on my toilet any thought, my four-year-old recently informed me that his grandparents and our church both have Kohler toilets.

5) sometimes I need to chill-out. Time flies and my children won't be little forever. The dust-bunnies and laundry will always be there.

6) the world really is a beautiful place. To see the beach for the first time through the eyes of a three-year-old is an amazing reminder of this.

7) if it's too quiet, be suspicious. The little cherubs might be in the backyard taste-testing the "chocolate milk" they made out of mud and that rusty bucket of rainwater.

8) a mother does in fact possess an inner voice that knows best. If I could do it all over again, I'd forego the parenting magazines and books, and other such advice. They only serve to drown out that natural mothering instinct.

9) uninterrupted sleep is never a thing to be taken for granted.

10) God is truly amazing. Not only does He create these beautiful children for us to nurture and protect, but He created the fierce love that binds us to them.

What have you learned from a young one lately?

2 comments:

  1. Heidi,

    I love this post. It's such a good reminder to me that the dust bunnies and laundry will always be around...

    My little guy has been teaching me how to marvel at everything. Yesterday, we stopped on our walk just to look a the moon...and it was beautiful.

    Looking forward to meeting you. You and your boys look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to meeting you too, Melanie! Three more days!

    ReplyDelete