"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, October 18, 2010

My Marathon Experience

This picture is not of me, but of Alevtina Biktimirova finishing second in the 2008 Boston Marathon. While I didn't come close to placing in the Amica Marathon yesterday in Newport, RI, Alevtina and I have one thing in common: our tortured--relieved?--expression when crossing the finish line. :)

Yay--I did it! Certainly not as fast as Alevtina, but I did it. I ran a marathon!

I woke yesterday morning with a feeling akin to a jitterbugging frog in my stomach. I couldn't calm my nerves. Fear of failure haunted me. I picked up the book I sometimes use for devotionals, and it pointed me to a small bit of scripture in 1Corinthians. One part jumped out at me.

He will keep you strong to the end.

Ohhhh yeah, God. You got me covered. How could I forget?

Now I'm completely aware I'm taking this assurance from the Almighty somewhat out of context, but I do believe He placed it in my path just when I needed to hear it. So I latched onto this promise for the full 26.2 miles, repeating it to myself often, especially when failure seemed imminent.

I completed the race in 4 hours, 10 minutes. I couldn't have gone faster. I did my best. And for that, I'm pleased.

When I finished, I was completely drained of energy, and could barely stand. And at the same time I felt more fully alive than I had in a long time. Wierd, really. But I think accomplishing something outside of our comfort zone--taking risks--has that effect on us.

Now as for when I'll be able to wear shoes again...that is yet to be seen. My feet are just plain ugly and sore, and at the moment, I can barely walk. But it was all worth it.

So what about you? What are you trying to accomplish that may be a little bit out of your comfort zone? I'd love to hear about it! And whatever it is, I encourage you to keep pursuing...the reward will surely be great.

P.S. Have to thank my supportive hubby and my two boys, who dragged themselves out of bed before dawn and braved the biting beach wind from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to cheer me on. Thank you my sweet family!

4 comments:

  1. I might have been able to manage the .2! :-)

    Congratulations, Heidi! What an accomplishment.

    Anytime I'm asked to take some kind of leadership role, I'm out of my comfort zone and my first reaction is, "No, thanks." Sometimes, God says, "Uh, yeah, I think you should."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks Sandy! And even though we've only worked with one another over the web, I can honestly say I think of you as a great leader--aren't I always looking to you for advice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job, Heidi! I'm so thrilled for you that you completed the challenge! And God is so good to carry you through. Love you lots, Aunt Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats, Heidi! I'm so proud of you:) I've given you an award on my blog today:)

    ReplyDelete