"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Sunday, October 31, 2010

You've Got A Friend In Me

My kids are big fans of Woody and Buzz, and their adventures of courage and unique friendship. They especially love the theme song, You've Got a Friend in Me. As I watch these movies with them, I find myself thinking about what real friendship means. I hope and pray that my two boys choose their friends wisely, and that they will grow up to be best friends with one another. Yet even more than all that, I pray that they will realize what a powerful friend they have in God--what a perfect friend we all have in Him.

The following excerpt is taken from Max Lucado's book, Fearless. As Lucado tackles the "Fear of What's Next" subject, he tells this story.

God treats you the way one mother treated her young son, Timmy. She didn't like the thought of Timmy walking to his first-grade class unaccompanied. But he was too grown-up to be seen with his mother. "Besides," he explained, "I can walk with a friend." So she did her best to stay calm, quoting the Twenty-third Psalm to him every morning: "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life..."

One day she came up with an idea. She asked a neighbor to follow Timmy to school in the mornings, staying at a distance, lest he notice her. The neighbor was happy to oblige. She took her toddler on morning walks anyway.

After several days Timmy's little friend noticed the lady and the child.

"Do you know who that woman is who follows us to school?"

"Sure," Timmy answered. "That's Shirley Goddnest and her daughter Marcy."

"Who?"

"My mom reads about them every day in the Twenty-third Psalm. She says, "Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my life.' Guess I'll have to get used to them."

You will too. God never sends you out alone. Are you on the eve of change? Do you find yourself looking into a new chapter? Is the foliage of your world showing signs of a new season? Heaven's message for you is clear: when everything else changes, God's presence never does. You journey in the company of the Holy Spirit, who "will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you" (John 14:26 NLT).

So make friends with whatever's next.

Embrace it. Accept it. Don't resist it. Change is not only a part of life; change is a necessary part of God's strategy. To use us to change the world, he alters our assignments.

As life pulls me along on its surprising path of not-always-welcome changes and challenges, it helps to know that God is with me, standing by me and for me every step of the way. Even in tough times, His love and steadfastness can keep me strong.

So while many of our friends may disappoint us as Buzz and Woody often find themselves doing, God's friendship won't. Rest in the fact that you have the most loving, dependable friend there is--and you don't even have to flip open your cell phone to give Him a call.

2 comments:

  1. I love how God is always there! Always listens. Always working for my best.

    My daughter was Jesse. My kids are huge Toy Story 3 fans. ;)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Heidi. Thanks for this reminder. Love that we always have a friend in God.

    ReplyDelete