"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Poem On My Refrigerator


Somewhere along the last six years, my children have commandeered the refrigerator. Not the inside, of course--although they'd like to do that too--but the outside.



It started with a couple adorable baby pictures. As they got older, I bought those magnetic letters that almost every American family with young children feels they need. I stuck a magnetic Bible verse on the side, in hopes that as they learn to read, a piece of God's Word will embed itself in their hearts.

The other day Noah put up a half-colored picture of a dinosaur. James proudly displayed a paper from kindergarten. Sometimes the fridge gets so crowded, we can't walk by it without knocking papers down.

Yes, it really has become my children's space.

Except for one corner.

Perched high above curious, sticky fingers is a small poem I look at often to remind me of the important things God has placed in my life. This cluttered, disorganized refrigerator won't be forever.

One day I'll miss it.

For life is short, the years rush past.

Little boys grow up so fast.

No longer are they at your side,

Their precious secrets to confide.

The picture books are put away,

There are no more games to play.

No goodnight kisses, no prayers to hear-

That all belongs to yesteryear.

My hands once busy now lie still,

The days are long and hard to fill.

I wish I might go back and do

The little things they asked me to.

-Anonymous

7 comments:

  1. Such a valuable reminder. Needed this today.

    My fridge is a hodgepodge. Just yesterday I hung my daughter's leprechaun from school.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy and Mom...Mom, so proud you figured out how to comment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a tear-jerking poem for mothers, Heidi--and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a male, I like this, too. The years of offspring growing up go by so fast. I'm seriously considering marrying and having more children. Children are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That comment above was by me, Peter Guild

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Peter! It is so nice to hear from a father.
    May God bless you and your children...those you have now and those that may be in your future! ;)

    ReplyDelete