"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Friday, March 11, 2011

Short and Sweet Friday: Best Ideas

Where are you when your best ideas strike? I'm amazed at how many of my good ideas (not just having to do with a story) come while I'm sleeping. Is it because I'm relaxed that inspiration hits?

Once in awhile I'll get a good idea in the shower, or while I'm exercising. Rarely though, will epiphany strike while I'm cleaning or doing dishes. Never do they come while I'm staring at a blank computer screen. What about you?

Do you have a time or a place that your best ideas make an appearance? And what do you think it is about that place that triggers your brilliant thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Running, showering, sleeping, painting. Those are my top four.

    (And sometimes when I'm in the middle of a convo w/ my man.) :D
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so many ideas after reading a fun book or watching an enjoyable movie. My mind is already primed and I think "what if the character hadn't done this?" or "what if they lived in a different setting and had a different job?" I love those what if's because they inspire all sorts of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My idea for my very first novel came while I was brushing my teeth!

    Driving is usually when I do most of my daydreaming and plotting. (I'm sure that makes everyone really comfortable to hear... but don't worry - I still pay attention to the road!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all have me laughing!

    Wendy--I forgot until you said it, but that's happened to me before! Our poor husbands...

    Cindy--Thanks so much for that insight. I plan to ask more what if's from now on. Thanks!

    Nicole--brushing your teeth? Now that's an original one! And don't worry, I have total confidence in your ability to plot while driving. ;)

    ReplyDelete