"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, April 18, 2011

Nature's Testimony

Holy Week is upon us and as I continue to meditate on what this season means, I can't help but look to the living testimony that surrounds me--God's creation. In New England, where the seasons are so vivid, I especially see this witness in the changes of the year. Autumn--growth stops, insects cease their persistent buzzing, the leaves begin to change to brilliant hues of reds, oranges, and yellows as their life ebbs away. They are dying...and yet it is beautiful, most definitely something to behold. Is that not also true of Jesus' death? I imagine the first disciples. Sad. Hopeless. Winter was upon them, bleak and barren. And yet there was something truly beautiful in what Jesus had done. Peter, James, John, Thomas, Andrew...none truly comprehend it and I confess that I too also feel lacking in understanding at times. Yet I know this: He died because He loves us--and that is indeed a thing of marvelous beauty. I often imagine how the disciples felt after their dear friend died. He made promises. He performed miracles. They loved Him, and He left them. The bleak snows of winter settled in. No life. Sometimes hopeless. Would joy ever be known again? Oh yes. Do not despair. Joy is near. For my favorite season--spring--was (and is) around the corner. He is not dead. He has risen! My hope, my Savior, He is alive today. And I feel God speaking to me this truth through the crocuses, the daffodils, the budding leaves, the warm sunlight on my face, the robins on the green grass. Is it coincidence we celebrate Easter this time of year? I don't believe so. Yes, He is alive. And He's speaking to us in something we witness every day, every year. Death and rebirth. Life. They are truly a living testimony to His life, His death, and His resurrection. I can't help but feel God really knew what He was doing when He created nature. My prayer is that His presence will be found alive in both me and you this Holy Season and forevermore.

3 comments:

  1. I love that He speaks to us through nature. Like you, I can't fully comprehend and share that lack of understanding. Someday it will be realized. I have hope in that.

    And spring truly is such a season of hope.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Wendy. Thank you...and please excuse the format of the post. Having minor trouble with my blog!!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring is my favorite season. I'm so grateful for the hope!

    Beautiful post. So good to see you here again:) I appreciate you!

    -Mel

    ReplyDelete