"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Different Form of Book



I remember when I first heard of the concept of an e-reader. What??? Read a book without pages!? I was completely against the idea. How could I possibly enjoy reading a book without the pleasant weight of it in my hands? Without the beautiful cover gracing the front?


Well, I've come a long way.


My husband recently bought me a Kindle, and I have to say I never expected to enjoy technology so much. I'm amazed at how the screen mirrors that of a book. I can make the words larger or smaller, according to my preference. I can listen to the story on my Kindle as I drive or sew. I can take multiple books with me, wherever I go, and slim down my heavy bookshelf. I can purchase a book and start reading it in less than a minute. I can read blogs or check my e-mail.


Yes, I love my Kindle. Of course this is not to say that it will ever replace a good old-fashioned page book. And I do have a couple of minor concerns: the screen is difficult to read in dim light, and it is much more tempting for me to buy a book now. As for the screen, one of my critique partners urged me to buy the Kindle cover with the built-in light and I absolutely love it. Very handy. Problem solved.


As for the second problem, I have to admit I was a big library user before my Kindle. Free books. I'd just have to wait...and wait...and wait. Sometimes a book that was newly released would be considered old by the time a copy made it to my waiting hands. And sometimes the library wouldn't get it at all. I dealt with this problem by either never reading the book, or buying a copy. Now, with it being so easy to buy books on my Kindle, I need to be careful how much money I'm spending. True, the Kindle store has many free and discounted books, but even $3.99 books can add up. I'm treading carefully.


Overall, I'm entirely pleased with my e-reader. I don't think book-reading will ever be the same. And yet I still enjoy the old page-turner, the satisfaction of a thick, juicy book in my hands. I can't see that publishers will be getting rid of them anytime soon. And when I head for a bubble bath or even the beach, I'm simply not going to bring my e-reader. Some things are best when they're not electronic.

Do you have an e-reader? Are you planning to purchase one, or are you against the idea of a electronic reading device?

2 comments:

  1. Sad to say I haven't stepped out yet. I blame it on our being extremely frugal, but I know it's b/c I'm rebelling, too. :)

    I'll get there. Might be at a snail's pace, but I'll get there.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    One of these days I'll get there. I'm a snail when it comes to technology as well. By the time I get to something it's considered outdated. LOL. :)

    Your kindle sounds awesome though!

    Enjoy your week, friend!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete