"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Embracing The Uniqueness of My Small Appliances

An alarm clock that hums.

A faithful bread machine that never fails me.

A hairdryer that shuts down after ten minutes.

A mixer that sounds like it's chugging up a steep hill.

An iron that leaks water only on the second item I'm dewrinkling.

A food processor that makes a high-pitched squealing sound when it catches on a chunk of onion.

What can I say? My small appliances have character. They are unique. And more often than not, I keep them around, with or without perfection.

They remind me of myself, and of the people in my life. None of us are perfect. We all have a jumble of traits and quirks that comprise who we are. They make us unique.

As I form a character in my mind, I try to come up with a realistic array of characteristics that will breathe life into that character. What will make them believable?

I was praying on my run this morning and I caught myself starting to pray for a fictional character in a particularly moving story I'm reading. Pathetic, I know. Yet two characters in this story are so real to me. They have flaws. I can sympathize with them. One is faithful. One seems hopeless. I'm reminded of my consistent bread machine...and my ever disappointing hairdryer.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but as I plan a trip to Target today to replace some of these small appliances, I can't help but wonder if I might miss them--just a little. We've been through a lot together. And I've come to love their character.

Do you have any unique appliances around your house?

2 comments:

  1. What a fun post, Heidi!

    When I put my computer to sleep it I have to open it up twice before it starts up. It's a quirk it's had since day one. :)

    --Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Melanie! Definitely unique. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete