"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, May 2, 2011

Life Without My Computer



A couple of weeks ago, I opened my laptop to see fuzz--something akin to the fuzzy picture you may sometimes get with a television. Of course I panicked. Assumed my computer was upon its death bed. Frantically, I backed up my manuscripts, proposals, and my husband's work files. When I took it to a computer fix-it shop, I found out it was a fairly easy fix...fairly easy, although I wouldn't have it for a week.


At first, life without my computer was a bit--dare I admit it?--freeing. Kind of like how I feel when the kids are out of the house. I was free of e-mails, facebook, even blogging. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all these things just as I enjoy my children, but without them, I realized that sometimes social networking efforts can consume me.


As I was preparing for bed, however, an unsettling feeling came upon me--like both of my boys weren't safely tucked in for the night. Only it wasn't my children, but my computer...fifteen miles away. And so, the freedom did not last. Even now, as I write this blog post by hand (planning to post when my baby is returned to me) my hand is cramping and I'm regretting taking my computer, or any other luxury God blesses me with, for granted.


What modern technology would you miss the most if you woke tomorrow to found it gone?

4 comments:

  1. Other than my computer?

    Probably the microwave. Without it, I can't quickly reheat my coffee over and over. It gets cold while I'm off in some fictional zone somewhere. I probably reheat a cup four or five times before I finish it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I couldn't live without my computer either...That's a given.

    Other than that, probably my GPS. I'm directionally challenged, and so is my husband. Going anywhere unfamiliar before Mr. GPS came along, it was tense and we'd constantly end up lost. After Mr. GPS came into my life, we're much better off and we have fewer and fewer "adventures/detours."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hear you, girl! i was just thinking about how grateful i am for our dishwasher:) and of course the computer is also a given (can't imagine writing by hand anymore!). But I agree, there is something freeing about being unplugged for awhile. Glad everything's fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Sandy, Nicole, and Melanie. :)
    I have to say I love all the things you mentioned--microwave for super easy popcorn, Mr. GPS for those rare car trips to NYC, and my dishwasher for the obvious every day use. And, call me strange, but I love the sound my dishwasher makes...it relaxes me. :)

    ReplyDelete