"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Short and Sweet Friday: Writer's Block or Writer's Fear?

Wikipedia online encyclopedia defines writer's block as "a condition, primarily associated with writing as a profession, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work."

I'm not convinced I've ever suffered from writer's block. I seem to have tons of ideas--especially those juicy new ideas. I'm a planner, so I rarely run into a plot problem while writing (although editing may be an entirely different story).

Recently though, I've experienced what I like to call writer's fear. What I define as "the crazy notion that putting nothing on the page is better than putting something horrible on the page."

Ridiculous, really. And yet I often succumb to this fear when I've been away from my work-in-progress for more than two days. I've found the cure to be simple: write that first word. That first sentence. That first paragraph. Sometimes I'll look at the clock and see how many words I can write in thirty minutes. Any small accomplishment or mile-mark is helpful.

Have you ever experienced writer's block or writer's fear? How did you overcome it?

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just try to get out a word. I agree, it feels more like a fear than a block. I can always think of something to write, but I worry that it won't be good enough and that can stop me from writing anything. So for me it all starts with a word.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those who gets a bit of writer's block in the middle of the book. Sometimes it's like finding myself in a maze, not knowing which way to go next.

    ReplyDelete