"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Next 30 Years

I sit down to write this post on the last night of my 29th year. My 30th birthday is tomorrow and I'm deep in contemplation over life. Sounds heavy, doesn't it? But it's not merely my age. I'm reading Donald Miller's "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." In it, he talks about what each of us say with our lives, what kind of story we're telling the world--telling God. That prodded me to think about my first thirty years, about what kind of story I'm telling.


Hmmm...they were wonderful, these last 10,950 days. Particularly this last decade when I married my hubby and birthed two amazing sons. I became a Christian and I discovered my passion for writing. But as I think back on them, I have to admit my first thirty years were primarily about me. Where do I want to go to school? What career do I want? What husband do I want? How many children do I want?


I want my next thirty years to tell a different story. I want to push open the walls of my small world, find out what it takes to write a meaningful story. I want to think about others more than I think about myself.


I want to live my life for Jesus.


I want God to come first in my life, not be someone I allow to tag along for convenience. I want my spirit to look different than it did a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago. When my last day on this earth is up, what story do I want to share with my Maker?


I'm still working on those answers. I've made one change already, which I will be blogging more about on Monday. Until then, may you make your story a satisfying one. Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Have a terrific birthday, Heidi!!

    Your last paragraph intrigues me. Can't wait for Monday!

    ReplyDelete