"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, October 31, 2011

Letting It Cool


I've finished the first draft of my next novel and I'm ready to dive into revisions. Almost. I'm in that "letting it cool" phase. I'm distancing myself from my manuscript for a couple of weeks. Putting it from my mind.

Or at least I'm trying.

It's harder than I thought to forget about something I've invested so many hours in, something I've waken at night to think about.

But I can also feel how it's beneficial. Refreshing. I can also concentrate my efforts on other things. Still, I don't think it's as far from my mind as it should be.

How do you distance yourself from your writing?

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! What a great accomplishment, Heidi!

    Well I've taken too long of a break from mine, but I can't stop reading more craft books. I think it's time to get back to it. :)

    Mel
    p.s. Oh, your comment on my blog blessed me so much. A confirmation that I really did need to write it. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best way to distance yourself from your writing is occupying your creative mind with other things - like reading! Read good authors or re-read some of your old favorites. Then you pick up on some good writing elements and can work that in at the revision stage.

    Just my thoughts! ;-)

    Congrats, Heidi! I'm so excited for you and even more excited for me (since I'll get to read the book soon!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing your first draft! I also find it soooo hard to put my novel from my mind when I'm done with the first draft. Most of the time I dive right into revisions, though I know it's probably not the best idea. Sometimes I work on plotting a new story so my mind is still on writing but on a completely different plot. Can't wait to hear how the revisions go, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, reading craft books is a great idea. I haven't done that in some time, but I definitely should. And again, thanks so much for that blog post.

    Nicole, you're so sweet. And yes, I've been reading more than I have in the last several months. Thanks so much for the advice.

    Cindy, glad you can sympathize! Plotting a new story is also a good idea. I think I will do some of that while I'm running or doing the dishes. ;)

    ReplyDelete