"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, October 10, 2011

Saving The Cat


As I near the end of the first draft of my second novel, I was suddenly seized by one of those annoying, niggling feelings that something wasn't quite right. It didn't take long for me to figure it out--the problem was my hero. He's not very nice at the start of the story. In fact, except for his good looks, if I met him on the street I probably wouldn't like him very much. I seem to have this problem--I struggle creating likable characters. I don't think I'm alone.

I've heard of a technique screenwriters (and regular old writers) use early on in a movie (or story).

Have your character save a cat.

Have them do something good, something to show they have a heart, something to tug on your reader's heart.

Okay...it was worth a try. I went back to the beginning of my story, searched for an opportunity for my hero to soften up a bit. I found it, and yes, it definitely made him more likable. Still not certain he's up to par, though. Hmmm...this guy might need to save another cat or two. Maybe an entire litter.

Have you ever struggled with creating likable characters? How do you solve this problem?

5 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem! I tend to make my characters too nice.

    I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! I love and miss you too! Hope everything is well, and I hope you're finding more time to write now that you're home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heidi,

    Well, I've only finished novel, and I was told my main character was just neutral. So, I'm needing to add layers to my characters. :)

    Congrats on almost finishing your second one! You GO girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie! Those layers are so hard. We'll keep striving, right my friend? ;)

    ReplyDelete