"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Thankful Today


The TODAY show is celebrating its 60th Anniversary. A couple days ago the hosts were talking about the beginnings of the morning show in 1952. In 1952 people didn't have televisions all over the house, if they had them at all. And there were no programs on before 11:30 in the morning. So when Dave Garroway first introduced the TODAY show as an early morning program, some were skeptical. It was said that morning was a sacred time, that Americans wouldn't let just anyone into their households so early in the morning. But Garroway proved a hit. He had a special way of coming across the camera, of speaking to people at this sacred time of day.
That made me think. Do we think of the morning, or even of our entire day as a sacred time? As a gift from God? Did our ancestors have a different way of viewing their hours on this earth? I can't help but think how many times I've rolled out of bed, slapped on some make-up, pulled on some clothes, and trudged through a day that, in my mind, very much resembled the one before it. A monotonous routine of cleaning, refereeing arguments, cooking, and running errands.
But is that how God wants me to view my day? Probably not. And I wonder how much richer my days would be if I would look at them differently. This morning, this day, is precious. Everything I do will matter if I do it for the glory of God. And may I not remember this truth only at Thanksgiving. May every day be a thankful today.
What do you do to remind yourself of the value of your day?

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful reminder, Heidi! I have had too many days like that as well. However, when I slow down and make time for God, I notice such a big difference in my attitude.

    Happy Thanksgiving. I love coming here every week too. You're such a great friend!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder, Heidi. I'm not much of a morning person, but that's no excuse to not be thankful. :) I like to start my day off with breakfast and devotions. Even if my kiddos are at the table with me, they've learned to let me have some time to myself for a few minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow down and make time for God...so true, Melanie. Thank you my dear friend.

    Sarah, you have me laughing. I have my devotions before anyone else is up--my kids haven't learned to let me have any time for myself! lol

    ReplyDelete