"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Story For My Children

“Mommy, will you tell us a story?”


My children’s favorite type of story has always been this kind. The kind where a page isn’t turned or a picture displayed. The kind where my voice is the only thing that pries open the doors of their imagination. I took the month of December off from writing historical fiction. Instead, I set out to write a different type of story: one for my children.

James, my almost seven-year-old, received a story titled Sir James and the Dragon. Brave Sir James saves a neighboring town—one where his grandparents and his church resides—from a fierce dragon. With help from God, his faithful Puppy, and loyal stallion, Sir James defeats the evil dragon.

I wrote Noah and the Seed for my five-year-old. The story is about a kind old man who decides to reward a child with his grand plantation filled with a candy land, hot air balloons, and an amusement park. He gives each child a seed and tells them to bring it back six months later. Noah is heartbroken when his seed doesn’t grow and all of his friends’ plants blossom. He and his Teddy bring their empty pot on the day the old man is to choose a winner. But the old man tells the children he boiled the seeds he gave out. Nothing would have been able to grow. Noah is the only honest one, and he wins the plantation.

These stories truly resonated with James and Noah. I hope they remember the lessons in them forever. I hope they  feel how much I love them with each turn of a page. I printed out pictures for the books and they opened them on Christmas Eve. They loved the idea of being heroes in their own personal stories. I wish I had thought of the idea earlier.


Are your children fond of your made-up stories? Have you ever written one for them?  

9 comments:

  1. I love that, Heidi! And I'm sure your kids did, too. I told a story to my oldest several years back, and wrote it into book form and illustrated it. She loved it and likes to tell the story to her younger sister now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Heidi. I wish I'd been that creative as a parent. Your boys will love keeping those books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet, Cindy!
    Thanks Sandy, I hope they will keep them for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a neat idea, Heidi! We tell silly stories sometimes at bedtime, but I've never thought of actually writing one down. I'll admit...The artwork part of it intimidates me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Sarah. I found almost all the pictures online and printed them out--that made it pretty easy. Still, it's nice to get back to non-picture book writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi,

    I LOVE this idea. You'll never believe it, but I was talking to my hubby about how I wanted to do this for the boys this coming Christmas as a homemade gift. Your boys are going to treasure these books forever. Okay, you've convinced me. I love how we think alike, and those stories are just too cute. :)

    Have a great week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO funny, Melanie...I love how we think alike too! I can't wait to hear what you come up with for your boys!

      Delete
  7. My kids love the made up kind and I have one very goofy little guy I call "Loud" whose favorite thing to do is make up stories for ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jessie. Your comment made me laugh...I'd love my boys to make up a story for me...I think. ;)

      Delete