"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Friday, February 24, 2012

Short and Sweet Friday: CHRIST, MESSIAH

The kids are on vacation this week and I'm running around like crazy. I even found myself in the X-ray room at the local children's hospital this week! Thanking God that everything is fine and that I found time to meditate on this week's study in Ann Spangler's Praying the Names of Jesus.

This week brought my attention to two names. CHRIST and MESSIAH. They both mean the same thing. "Anointed one." Someone set apart for a special purpose.

In this week's study, Ann Spangler writes that the first Christians thought of Jesus "as Israel's Messiah, he was the greatest of all kings, the one called and empowered to destroy God's enemies and extend his kingdom throughout the earth. His mission was to put an end to our deepest troubles--to rebellion, sin, and death."

The study had me reading many prophecies from Psalms and Isaiah that I haven't read in some time. Wow! How quickly I forget how Jesus' fingerprint is on every book of the Bible, how God's amazing plan points to the One who gives, and is, all-encompassing grace. Jesus.

If your curious or you just want that precious reminder, read Psalm 22, Isaiah 52, 53. I pray that God refreshes your spirit this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi! Isn't it funny how a vacation for our kids is anything BUT a vacation for Mom? :)

    I've been reading through Psalms lately and have noticed so many little references that prophesied Jesus's life on earth. No one can say the Bible isn't God-inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been crazy this week, Sarah!

      And you're so right about the prophesies. They were what convinced me to take the Bible seriously years ago.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh Heidi, I'm so grateful everything is okay! I'm glad you found time to meditate, too. I've been so short on that lately, so I'm blessed that when I feel the most drained and I randomly decide to check blogs, I can come across yours and be refreshed with something new and deep every week. Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, your comment touched my heart and encouraged me. Thank YOU so much, it has been fun getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete