"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Friday, March 2, 2012

Short and Sweet Friday: RABBI, TEACHER

Rabbi. Teacher. These are not the first words that come to my mind when I think of Jesus. But He calls us to draw close to Him, to study His life and teachings, and to allow His Spirit to change us into His image. He calls us to learn from Him.

As I study the gospels, I can't help but notice one of Jesus' favorite forms of teaching: a parable. A story. One of His most popular stories is that of the mustard seed. Ann Spangler writes that "when Jesus compared the advance of his kingdom to the smallest of seeds that grows into the tallest of plants, he immediately created a vivid and encouraging image for his disciples."

I learned something this week that's made all the difference in my walk of faith, and that I believe Jesus was trying to teach with this parable. So here's some food for thought: perhaps it is not a matter of how big or little your faith is. More likely, what matters is who you put your faith in.

Jesus. Immanuel. Light of the World. Lamb of God. King of Kings. Prince of Peace. Teacher.

Who are you trusting in this day?

6 comments:

  1. Learning so much about this in my life lately!

    Powerful truth!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was brilliant! My family is reading through the passages for Lent and last night's reading was about the faith of a mustard seed. You are so right in that it is not the size, but the One in whom you put your faith.

    Awesome post, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sherrinda! Very neat that you were just reading about this. Thanks for stopping by! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love what you said about parables, Heidi. I was just thinking about that the other day when I was questioning whether all my time writing fiction is a waste. Some people will never understand the truth until they're given a word picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you on that, Sarah. There's something about a story that tugs at our emotions and makes us think/feel differently.

      Have a great weekend, my friend!

      Delete