"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, April 16, 2012

Anatomy of a Brother


As a grown woman who grew up with one sister, I find myself in awe of my two sons and how they relate. It’s an entirely new experience for me. The complexity of their relationship is deeply layered; I can’t even begin to understand the half of it. Yet I thought it might be fun to try.

Anatomy of a Brother

Eyes…to watch what my brother does and do likewise, only better and faster.

Nose…to smell Mommy’s perfume and alert my brother that “She’s coming!” and we better stop filling the gas tank in the lawnmower engine with dirt.

Mouth…to sneak a few jellybeans from our freshly-filled Easter baskets at 3 a.m.—something I would never do without my brother’s encouragement.

Muscles…to tackle my brother to the ground when A)I’m bored, or B)my brother started it!

Lungs…for hyperventilating with excitement with my brother at the prospect of building a go-kart from a lawnmower engine.

Foot…to prod my brother to try things first, like the highest diving board or the scariest rope swing.

Stomach…a tough one that can take the sometimes ugly truth about my attitude from the lips of—you guessed it—my brother.

Lips and Throat…for sharing smiles, laughter, and jokes after lights out.

Hands…for never letting my brother stray too far, for realizing he is my constant companion and best friend, the only one who can protect me from the swamp monster behind our tree house.

Heart…to love my brother. For no one else knows where I’m coming from like him. No one can relate to me better. No one loves exactly like a brother.




And for any mother’s with boys out there, here is a terrific blog I often enjoy.

For a fun post on what my sons have taught me, visit here.

How about you? Do you have a brother? One or more sons? What are some things you’ve noticed about your/their relationship?



13 comments:

  1. Too cute. Did I ever tell you I could have sworn God was going to give me 2 boys. I just thought I'd make a fine mama to boys. Yep, I've got 3 girls. ;)

    Can we say sense of humor?
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Wendy! I could have sworn God was going to give me two girls...I feel His sense of humor every day!

      Delete
  2. I have a younger brother and relate completely differently from the way I relate with my two sister. Everything is so much simpler and more black and white.

    As for kids, I have three girls like Wendy, so I guess I can relate to the way they treat each other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wondered what it would be like to have a brother. Very interesting that everything is simpler.

      Delete
  3. Heidi,

    Hi, friend. :) I've missed you. :) I loved this post! So cute. Especially the nose...I can just seem them working together and warning each other. I know that's what's in store for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too, Melanie!! Hope you're feeling well. Absolutely loved your post this morning.

      Delete
  4. Aw, your little guys are soooo cute, Heidi! I have one son, and I always envisioned my house full of boys. But God gave me a girl for #2. They don't get along so well right now, but I'm hoping that'll change in a couple years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will, Sarah! My two went through a stage (for about four years) where they were constantly at one another. I think they're beginning to realize it's funner when they get along. ;)

      Delete
  5. Loved this blog entry, of course. As your mother, I can't believe God gave you two boys. You were such a girly girl. But as usual, He must have known what he was doing, because you have morphed into the most beautiful mom of two boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...thanks so much for your sweet comment, Mom. Some days I feel like a beautiful (good) mom, and sometimes I think I'm just ugly. lol

      I love you!

      Delete
    2. You are always beautiful, inside and out. I love you.

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog! I have 3 daughters myself but the same could be said of them. absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diana. And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete