"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, April 30, 2012

Real Victory


It’s that time of year again. Baseball time. With two sons in two different leagues, our family is at the baseball field at least four times a week. It’s fun spending time with other parents and watching my sons improve upon last year. And shame on me, but it’s also fun to win.

Recently I found myself getting too caught up in the game. My older son’s team won their first three games and we already had our eyes on an unbeatable season. He’d made some good hits and a few outs. I was a proud Mama. Maybe he could help his team on their way to victory.

To victory? Someone please set me straight! As my thoughts came screeching to a stop, I had to wonder: how would winning every single game benefit my son—my son who has a very hard time losing at the card game, UNO?

I started to ponder what was really important. What, of true value, do I want my sons (and myself) to learn this baseball season?

1) To win honorably.
2) To lose gracefully.
3) To work with others toward a common goal.
4) To be disciplined and committed enough to show up, even when the desire is not there.
5)To have a good attitude.
6) To persevere in the face of difficulty, to give their best to their commitments.
7) To encourage others and build each other up.
8) To support and cheer on other members of their family (their brother).
9) To turn to their Creator at all times, even in the middle of a baseball game.
10) To give glory to Jesus always. To know true victory is found only in Him.

   
Even as I doubt if baseball can teach us all these things, I hope and trust and pray that God will.

Can you think of anything to add to this list? Do you have any bad losers in your house? If so, what do you do to prod their little (or big) hearts to grace-filled change?




2 comments:

  1. I love this list, Heidi, especially #2. I think losing gracefully is a very difficult thing even for adults! I pray this for my sons as well.

    I prayed for you today, friend. Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Melanie. Planning my time at conference and thinking of you! You will be missed. ;)

    ReplyDelete