"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Mission For My Family


A mission trip, that is.

Last week, my family embarked on our first official short-term mission trip. We traveled three hours north to His Mansion in Deerfield, New Hampshire. We first heard about His Mansion through our church, and more recently from a friend who’s been greatly helped by their services. The facility offers Christian counseling and residential care for those with addiction and substance abuse problems.

The property is 360 gorgeous acres, and the campus itself is a farm complete with pigs, cows, and chickens. We were there to work.

We planted potatoes, pruned and edged a raspberry patch, and sifted soil. Lots and lots of soil. The kids worked their fair share, and played more than their fair share. We had wheelbarrows (literally) of fun, but best of all we had the opportunity to talk and work with those who have been helped by the program, and those currently in the program. We ate together. We worshiped together. We prayed together.

Our family glimpsed only a small portion of the amazing work God had done with this piece of land, with His faithful followers. But I’m thankful we could help, even if it was only for a few days.

Next family mission? That is yet to be seen, but I’m hoping that our family will travel to Haiti when the boys are a few years older.

We (or maybe just I) tend to think of a mission trip as going somewhere far away to minister to others. But a mission trip can be simpler. I’m going to try to think of every day as a mission trip—a time to show God’s love to others, a time to point others to Jesus. Whether it’s at home with my family, at the grocery store with a bunch of strangers, or in Haiti with a group of orphans, God has given me a mission. I pray I’ll be faithful.

What is your definition of a mission trip? Have you ever gone on a mission trip? 

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful mission trip. How great you got to do it with the whole family. My first mission trip was far away, to Vietnam. I was there for two weeks and it was amazing. There were so many outlets for us to learn, grow, worship, teach others and so much more! We also did Habitat for Humanity all the way over there, and it was so special meeting the families we built homes for. God did some amazing things over there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds so neat, Cindy! That is far away, but how neat to be a blessing to those families.

      Delete
  2. How awesome to do a trip with the whole family! I hope to do the same thing when our kids are a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Sarah! Yes, I definitely would have not attempted this until the kids were of school age! ;)

      Delete
  3. Heidi,

    I love that you did that with your family! I can't wait to do that with my kiddos as well. Thanks for the inspiration, friend!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melanie. I've missed seeing your "face." lol

      Delete
  4. What an inspirational parent you are! You are teaching your children such good stuff. After the 2004 tsunami hit, my husband and I went to India. Very sad, but my husband did a lot of counseling, since he spoke the native language. We'd raised quite a bit of money for orphan children. Great experience. I'm impressed with your short term missions trips. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Holly. I'm overwhelmed by all that you do. It sounds so interesting, and I'm sure you and your husband are a tremendous blessing to those who suffer. I can't imagine how sad it must be...but I trust God was working through you. God bless!

      Delete
  5. I think it's great you're instilling the missional spirit in your children. So wonderful to start early and consciously cultivate it. I've done humanitarian work in Guatemala and Mexico, both wonderful and life-changing experiences. But like you, I see the need all around...even in our backyard. Excellent that you and your family plan to do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement! Blessings to you!

      Delete