"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Friday, April 27, 2012

Short and Sweet Friday: FRIEND


Why is Jesus your friend? What has He done to warrant such a label? I’m not asking what you have done. No, that matters not. What did Jesus do that long ago Friday, that long ago glorious Sunday morning, that makes it possible for us to call Him friend?

As we think on this, let us take our eyes off ourselves and our works this week. For as Ann Spangler writes, “None of us will ever be attractive enough, good enough, or successful enough to warrant his [Jesus’] friendship. Paradoxically, it is only by exposing the brokenness inside us that we can be admitted to his friendship.”

When things are going well it’s tough to know that brokenness of which Ann writes. But more than anything I want to be Jesus’ friend.

So here I am, Lord.

Break me for your purposes. Break me for your graceBreak me for your friendship.

4 comments:

  1. In that Storybook Bible I was reading the story of Zaccheus (sp.) and it hit me how Jesus reached out to him. It really shook up some of my notions about how he pursues us.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every night I'm amazed by how much that Bible is teaching me. We haven't made it to the story of Zaccheus yet (soon!) and I'm tempted to read it without my kids, but I think I'll wait. Love experiencing it together!

      Delete