"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple Living


This weekend was filled with simple pleasure for me. The days were slow, and at times lazy, but I delighted in them. I delighted in just being.

I delighted in:

~watching my sons play baseball. It fills me with joy to cheer them on, to rejoice in an especially good catch, to encourage them after a strikeout. To simply love on them.

~going for a long run on a beautiful Saturday morning. The scent of lilacs and warmth wound around me. The birds sang praises to God, and I never felt more a part of His awesome creation as I ran with joy, and felt His glory.

~yard work. I’m not big on gardening or mowing the lawn. I’d much rather lay on a hammock reading a good book than dirtying my fingernails. But there’s something simply satisfying about a freshly-clipped green lawn, about vibrant flowers blooming in a new pot. It’s all worth it at the end of the day.

~worshiping with other believers. Wow. There’s something about being with God’s children that always blows me away. We all need quiet times alone with God, but spending time with other Christians on Resurrection Day is how it’s meant to be. I feel God’s Spirit powerfully.


~quilting. Working my fingers with needle and thread has always brought me simple pleasure. The repetitiveness is therapeutic. That I’m creating something from nothing gives me joy. God made us to be creative and it fills a part of me that nothing else can. I feel the same way when I craft a story.

What simple things did you take pleasure in this weekend?



photo credit: flickr

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a simplistic and enjoyable weekend! I tried quilting (not so skilled). :D

    I loved going to the library book sale (3 times!).
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...book sale...fun and simple, Wendy!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very restful weekend, friend! I wish we lived closer so you could teach me quilting. :) I enjoyed a lovely dinner with family friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wished we lived closer too, Melanie!

      Dinner sounds lovely--again, congrats on the news! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds very relaxing, Heidi! We had gorgeous weather here, so I enjoyed getting outside for some fresh air while recovering from my surgery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your recovery is going well, Sarah. Enjoy that weather! :)

      Delete