"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Friday, June 1, 2012

Short and Sweet Friday: Summer Reading

Summer is almost here and I feel the excitement of a good read all around me. While it's a cozy picture to think of oneself curled up by the warmth of a winter fire with snow gently falling outside the window, I think more reading is actually done in the summer. The days are longer, more people go on vacation and have time to read,  and we all want to be outside relaxing. What better way to get a little R&R?


A few days ago I heard two women talking about what they liked and disliked about a particular book. One thing they both agreed on being unhappy with was the lengthy setting descriptions. Now as a writer, I know this is a no-no, but it was nice to hear real readers state it. This was one thing these two women were not willing to spend their summer on.


Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to a good read? What would ruin an otherwise good book for you?

3 comments:

  1. Cliche characters or overdone plots.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love summer reading too, Heidi! I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I just recently started two different books and didn't get past the first couple pages. They just felt too formal or something. A summer read definitely has to have a certain feel to it. :)

      Delete
    2. Completely agree with both of you. And I've done that more than once, Sarah. There are too many good books out there to waste time on something I'm not going to completely enjoy. :)

      Delete