"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Session #8: Revision


Dear Mom and Dad and Tootles,

Last week of camp! Wow, I feel like I’ve learned so much this summer, and yet I know there is still tons more ahead of me.

Coach Sol spoke to us about editing this week. He said there are many ways to revise, but what he likes to do is take one step at a time. Read the manuscript through. Ask yourself these questions:

~Do my characters come alive? Are they likeable? Can I sympathize with them? How well do I understand my main characters?

~What is my weakest scene? Cut it. My next weakest scene? Consider cutting it too.

~What are the three most important actions in my novel? Is each action motivated in a believable way?

~Read your first page. Is there a compelling reason to go to page two?

~Coach Sol said to then go through the manuscript, weeding out useless paragraphs and cutting words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, pages, or whole scenes that seem unnecessary. He said to make sure my characters are under stress that increases and make sure there’s something visual on every page.

Wow. Coach said that’s enough to get me started, but above all, to KEEP WRITING! It’s the best and only way to learn the craft.

Something else Coach told us? We are writers. That means me. Even if I don’t have books on the bookshelves yet, even if I’m still young (or even if I were very old), I am one who writes. That makes me a writer. Very neat.

Thanks for sending me to camp this summer. I can hardly wait to finish up my manuscript and start editing. Can't wait to be home with you all! See you Friday!


Love, Your Writer



Do you have a particular method of editing that works for you? Was it ever a struggle to think of yourself as a writer?




photo credit: wikipedia

10 comments:

  1. This post made me think of the verse about not letting anyone look down on you b/c you're young...We all have gifts...reasons we're here.

    Love it.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, Wendy! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

      Delete
  2. When I am revising, I read everything out loud. It helps me to find those unnecessary or repetitive words that looked fine on the page but really throw off the cadence and rhythm when read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find that sooo helpful, Lindsay! I sometimes even put my manuscript on my Kindle and had "the voice" read it to me. Since she doesn't read with much emotion, it really helps me analyze my writing.

      Delete
  3. I have to print my manuscript out and read it that way, so that I don't get stuck editing chapter one and not move on. And when I'm writing and editing, I make all the facial expressions of my characters so that I can better describe their emotions! I bet I look funny as I'm typing away, but it helps me to capture things better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to really get into things, Gabrielle? ;) I always print out my whole book on my first round of edits. I don't know what it is, but it just helps me see things better

      Delete
  4. I love editing! I created my own self-editing checklist, where I've compiled all the editing tips and tricks I've learned. Then when it's time for the red pen, I have everything in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, friend! I've missed you. I'm still figuring out my system of editing. I think I like the creative process, but there it is something satisfying about cutting things that don't fit or add to the story.

    I'm planning on jumping back into the blogging world on the 27th after we return to a normal schedule again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melanie! I hope everything is going well with you and your family!

      And I very much agree--editing is satisfying. ;)

      God bless, my friend!

      Delete