"God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform..." William Cowper

Monday, December 3, 2012

NaNo (National Novel Writing Month) Musings


Wow, what a month. With November now history, I can sit back and evaluate how NaNo went.

~The first two weeks of November were full steam ahead. I received a job offer that included full time training for half the month of November. Add to that all the responsibilities of a family, and serious doubts about writing 50,000 words in a month clouded my inspired brain.

…I realized the only way I would finish the story is if I took myself, and my WIP, super seriously. I decided to wake up by 4:30 every day—even most Sundays—in order to have the quiet I needed to write. Except for being tired at night, this worked out fairly well. I wrote almost the entire book without taking time away from my family.

…That said, NaNo really did feel like a marathon. And I know a thing or two about marathons from experience. The middle is tough, and I thought about giving up several times.

…but perseverance is key and I rounded the homestretch, victory tingling in my limbs. I finished the story on November 28, at about 51,000 words.

…which left me a bit stumped. I’ve always written books that were too lengthy, not too short! This one will require some beefing up and major edits. I’ve always been a take-your-time type of writer, choose-the-right-word-and-sentence-structure type of writer. Not during NaNo. I just wrote. It was refreshing, freeing.

…I’m definitely going to do it again. But for December, I think I’m going to take a big, well-deserved writing break. J

If you participated in NaNo, what are your final thoughts? Did you like the race? Will you participate next year? 

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Dec. break. I can't help but write fast. It's hard to keep up with my thoughts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a break last year when I did Nano. It felt good but was a bit hard to get back in the groove come January! :) This year, I didn't participate but did add 35K to my wip, so that was decent. Hoping to finish the draft next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Lindsay! That is a big chunk of words. Yay on finishing drafts!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, and congrats to you on finishing Nano successfully!

      Delete
  3. I didn't participate in NaNo, because I had worked on my manuscript like a mad woman to get it done before ACFW and then after that I worked like a mad woman to get it polished and ready to submit by Nov. 1st, so I took a much needed break. In the mean time, I've been plotting and brainstorming my next story, as well as doing some research. It feels good to have the next story brewing in my mind as I prepare to start writing in January. Congrats on completing the goal and on a new job! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle. I remember you finishing up your story like a mad woman...lol ;)

      Delete
  4. Wahoo! Great job, Heidi!!! I agree, it did feel like a marathon. Writing 1,667 words a day doesn't sound like a lot until you do it. Hope you get some good rest. I know I am. Miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job to you too, Cadi. Miss you tons too... :(

      Delete
  5. Congrats on making your NaNo goal. I enjoyed doing NaNo the only year I did it, and I enjoyed the race. Having writing goals always helps me get more accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Heidi, I'm so impressed with your wordcount, especially considering everything else going on in your life! Way to go! Enjoy that break. :)

    ReplyDelete